Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Another Helper (LS24)

         'Last Sermon of Jesus'

John 14:16-17a  "And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever- the Spirit of truth,"
    Though God gives us the Holy Spirit as the seal of redemption and frequently fills us with His Holy Spirit, giving us joy to strengthen our faith, yet we often walk in ways contrary to His word, leaving us to regret our unfaithfulness to Him.

Rom 7:24-25  O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God- through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
    As a Christian, with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the gifts of the Holy Spirit, our mind (understanding) is to serve Him, for He is the Almighty God, our loving Father and Saviour. But our flesh is still under bondage to the sinful desires, cravings and addictions that only this world can satisfy.

Gal 5:19-21  Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; .... that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
    All those who walk in the flesh cannot enter the kingdom of God.

John 8:31-32  Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
    We must abide in His word so that we will know the truth, for only the truth can set us free from our flesh.

John 16:8-11  "And when He (the Helper) has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me; of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged."

Of sin, because they do not believe in Me
    When the Helper is in me, then He can convict me of the sins of unbelief. If I believe Jesus is Lord, then I must obey His word. But if I do not obey them, then (in my flesh) Jesus is not Lord for I have not walked out my faith. This is the truth. By walking in faith, we bring our flesh under His subjection. Faith without works is dead. Thus, in a similar manner, He will convict us of unbelief in Him as the Almighty God, the Healer, the Protector, the Provider, the Advocate...

Of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more
    He will convict us that God has forgiven our sins, when we confessed and repented of them, and His righteousness is now upon us.

Of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged
    Satan was judged the defeated foe and therefore, no longer has any power or authority over us. He cannot touch, hurt nor harm us. For we are more than conquerors in Christ Jesus. Thus, all our sufferings, sicknesses, accidents, death, pains and blessings are sent by our Father to refine, chastise or encourage us. Satan can only destroy our faith by using temptations, false prophecies, lies, deceptions, distorted truth, heresies, etc.

John 16:13  "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come."
    God has given us the Spirit of truth, who is our Helper, to lead us into all truth so that we may be free from the flesh.