Wednesday, February 22, 2017

As The Father Loved Me (LS42)

           'Last Sermon of Jesus'

John 15:9 "As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love."
     
Why did the Father love Jesus?

He obeyed God's commandments:
John 14:31a "But that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father gave Me commandment, so I do."

He always pleases the Father:  
John 8:29 "And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him."

Greatest love shown:  
John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends."

He laid down His life:  
John 10:17-18 "Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."
   Our Lord Jesus willingly laid down His life for us in order to redeem us from the eternal lake of fire. We too, should lay down our lives for our brethren in appreciation of His great love for us, which will please Christ just as He had pleased the Father.

How did God love Jesus?

Gave Him all things:  
John 3:35 "The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hand."

Showed Him greater works:  
John 5:20 "For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel."

Taught Him all things:  
John 8:28 "Then Jesus said to them, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things."

Power to give life:  
John 5:21 "For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will."

Power to judge:  
John 5:22 "For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son,"

Power to set free:  
John 8:36 "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

Power to baptize with the Holy Spirit.
Mark 1:8 "I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."

Given all authority in heaven and on earth:  
Mat 28:18-29 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.

How did Jesus love us?

Phil 2:5-8 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, Who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

Heb 2:14-15 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Brethren,  By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.  (1John 3:16)